Thursday, March 9, 2017

My Reads: Hands Free Mama

I'm a teacher and I don't like to read.
I'm a teacher and I use to not like reading.
Have you ever heard of a teacher that DOESN'T like to read?
I don't know why I didn't. I just never really loved it. I would go through phases where I would want to sit down and read a book. That phase would last 1 or 2 books and then I was done for a few months. But lately I have just been in a reading mood! It's funny though. I found all of these books that I wanted to read and I placed them on hold at the library. One day I went and picked up 8 books! Thinking I could read them all in 3 weeks. HA! Naturally I read one and then was like yeah... I don't have time for this. I am just someone that can't sit and do nothing. We don't watch TV much, but even when we do I am always doing something! Folding laundry, working on a project, blogging...
I wrote the books down on a list thinking that maybe one day I would revisit them. Then I listened to a book online and thought okay, this is how I am going to read all of these books. Because I can listen to them while I am doing other things like cleaning the house. But it turns out not all of the books I wanted to read are available to listen to online for free.
Then Courtney mentioned this book on an Instagram post and I was immediately intrigued. It was late at night so I couldn't hurry and run to the library and grab it. So I went to the library website to see if they had it and they did! It wasn't checked out so I put it on hold and picked it up the next day.
I made it a goal to read 20 minutes a day. That's what I expect my students to do each night so I should be doing it too, right? 20 minutes isn't too long. Well, I have often caught myself reading more than 20 minutes and even trying to squeeze in some reading during my lunch break.
My initial goal was to read 1 book a week. But I think it is going to be more like 1 book every two weeks and if I like the book well enough I just might share it with you on my blog!


When I first started reading this book I thought, maybe this book isn't for me. My life isn't as crazy-busy and hers! But the more I read the book, the more I realized I did need this. I know I'm on my phone a lot. It's the first thing I do when I wake up and it's the last thing I do when I go to sleep. But this book isn't just about living "Hands Free" from technology. It is about avoiding all unnecessary distractions so that you can spend more quality time with your family so that you don't miss out on those special moments.

I have written some of my favorite quotes from the book.

"What is truly important to you? Spending time with your family? Volunteering for a certain organization? Being fit and healthy? Deepening your prayer life? Once you identify what really matters to you, get out your calendar and compare your extracurricular commitments to you Life List. If an activity doesn't support an item on that list, begin making plans to eliminate it from your schedule."
-Rachel Macy Stafford

"At least three times every day take a moment and ask yourself what is really important. Have the wisdom and courage to build your life around your answer."
-Dr. Lee Jampolsky

"To grasp what matters, you must let go of what doesn't!"
-Rachel Macy Stafford

"The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change. So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger, but in wisdom, understanding a love."
-Jennifer Edwards

"One day at a time-this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering."
-Ida Scott Taylor

"You can do anything, but not everything."
-David Allen

"Daily distractions have a sneaky way of stealing time- that rare and precious commodity that once we lose, we never regain. Every time we get online to check email, social media, or search the Internet, suddenly a large chunk of time disappears. Is that really how we want to spend our precious time? By removing the temptations of the phone and Internet, you will receive the gift of time- time to laugh, time to love, and time to live for what most matters in your life."
-Rachel Macy Stafford

And these words hit me the STRONGEST.
"Being responsible for someone's childhood is a big deal. We not only create our own memories, but we create our child's memories."
-Rachel Macy Stafford
Isn't that so powerful? WE are in charge of our children's memories. And don't we want them to have fun, good memories? I don't want to be remembered as the mom who was always cleaning and doing laundry. I want to be remembered as a mom that does fun things with her kids! I mean, obviously there has to be balance. I'm not just going to let my house go and just play all day. But maybe instead of cleaning up dinner right away I will play and clean up later. 

So read it. I highly recommend it. Even if you don't think you have a problem with being "Hands Free". It's still a really good book to help you focus on what really matters.


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment