Monday, October 24, 2016

Mommy Style Monday: Bedtime Routine

Good morning!
I just had my Fall break and I am not ready for a full week of work again. My next break isn't until Thanksgiving! That feels like soooo far away. At least I like my job!

If you want to sign up for our next Mommy Style Monday please sign up here!
This weeks' Mommy Style Monday is about bedtime routine!
We have always been good about having a bedtime routine but we did recently switch it up. About two months ago Boston was getting really good about sleeping through the night. He wouldn't do it every night but he would either wake up once or not at all. It was so nice! Then we went to my parents house two weekends ago and his schedule got MESSED UP! He wouldn't take naps, he wouldn't fall asleep without me nursing him, and when I would lay him down after he had fallen asleep he would wake right back up! So I seriously had to be nursing him the whole time in order for him to take a nap, and bed time was just a nightmare. Braden and I went through 3 or 4 nights of this and decided we couldn't do it anymore. We couldn't survive and go to work on only 3 hours of sleep. So we started sleep training. I had been so against this and I just wanted to wait for Boston to learn to sleep through the night on his own, which he had but like I said... everything got messed up.
The first night he went down SO easy! Then he only woke up once. He cried for 45 minutes and that was it. The second night he cried for 15 minutes, and the third night until now, he has slept through the night! I am so grateful for a full nights sleep!
Anyway, this is our bedtime routine.
6:00 Dinner
6:30 Bath
6:45 Nurse
6:55ish Braden comes in and we brush his teeth, read him a story, and say goodnight.
7:00 I leave, turn off the lights, Braden rocks Boston to sleep and then lays him down in his crib AWAKE.
Then Boston usually rolls around and talks for 10 minutes and then he is asleep! Then he wakes up the next morning around 6:30.
Yes, our bedtime might be early, but both Braden and I work, Boston has to wake up by 6:45 at the latest so yes, he has an early bedtime. Would you believe that a lot of people criticize us on the early bedtime? Ugh, the hardest part of being a parents is having to deal with other peoples criticism. I should just brush it off and not care, but I care and it bugs me.
Anyway! This is our bedtime routine and this is what works for us!
I am a school teacher and OBSESSED with Scholastic books. I order books every month. I try to get a lot of seasonal/holiday board books for Boston. I want him to love reading starting at a young age, and so far he LOVES books! I hope that never changes.



I also have a giveaway that is going on on my Instagram (@kiana.probst) for this mama necklace or an initial disc necklace. It ends tomorrow so be sure to hurry on over and enter!


Don't forget to check out the other girls that participated in this week's Mommy Style Monday.
Madeline at CaseyLand

Sue at Sue's News
Juli at Journey of J^3
Beverly at What a Day
Erica at Good Job Momma
Monica at It's All About

If you want to sign up for our next Mommy Style Monday please sign up here

12 comments:

  1. Our bedtime is 7 too! We get a lot of weirdness too but also a lot of I wish my kids would go to bed that early. ☺ always do what works for you!! Congrats on successful sleep training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our bedtime is 7 too! We get a lot of weirdness too but also a lot of I wish my kids would go to bed that early. ☺ always do what works for you!! Congrats on successful sleep training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! It works out well for our family. And thank you! I am so happy to have my sleep back.

      Delete
  3. Haha my parents put me to bed at 7 until I was seriously in like... 6th grade. They said it's the best decision they ever made, so don't feel bad!! I think they appreciated all the time to themselves ha ha. I only put Nathan to bed so late because if I didn't, Alex would literally never see him, and that would be sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Haha. I like the early bedtime. It gives Braden and I some time alone. And I am not a night person so I go to bed early too! It works out perfectly for us!

      Delete
    2. That's how we were with Chelsea for the first year of her life or so. Andrew would get home so late and we'd eat dinner at practically 7 and go to bed at 9. Haha! So glad schedules change!

      Delete
  4. You gotta do what works best for your family! So sorry people have to judge so much tho! Good job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gotta do what works best for your family! So sorry people have to judge so much tho! Good job mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it sad? People warned me that I would get strangers telling me how to raise my family and I haven't really experienced that, just the criticism. It's so annoying! But thank you!

      Delete
  6. People criticize you for the early bedtime?! Haha! What a ridiculous thing to criticize! I wish my kiddos would go to bed that early!
    I figure that as long as your kids go to bed and get sleep (and you do, too!) you're doing a great job! Thank you for commenting on my post!

    susanstange.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are totally night people! And I don't work, so our 8/8:30pm bedtime for Gwen is perfect for us. A 6pm bedtime sounds really nice to me sometimes! But I don't function so well at 6am, so that might be a disaster. I'm glad he sleeps through the night for you. I can't imagine working with a baby that doesn't sleep through the night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kiddos all go to bed at 7:00 or 7:30 too :) It's definitely a positive aspect of our daily routine. Kids get their sleep and Kris and I have a few hours together every night. It works!

    ReplyDelete