Friday, May 20, 2016

Diet and Exercise Routine: Q&A


Over the past few weeks I have been getting some questions about my diet and exercise routine so I decided to devote one blog post to all the questions I have been asked. Hopefully I got to all of them!

How did you lose all your baby weight?
I spent two days in the hospital after delivering little Bo and when I came home I had already lost 20 pounds! After that I didn't have much to lose. It all just came off naturally after about 3 weeks pp. I know that isn't everyone's story, everyone's body is different. I mostly just gained water weight, my legs and feet got so swollen by the third trimester. That's why I think I was able to lose it all so fast. YES, I still had my extra belly skin for quite a while and I was super uncomfortable with that.

As a working mom, how do you find the time to exercise?
This is a question I have been asked A LOT. I am a firm believer that if you want something bad enough, you will make it happen. The first few weeks back to work I didn't exercise. It was hard for me. I had to get back into the routine of things and figure out a new routine now that I have a baby! I have now found the perfect time to exercise. Boston goes to sleep between 7:30 and 8:00. Once I put him down I do my exercises. And you guys, Kayla Itsiness' workout program is great for moms! It is only 28 minutes! And honestly, as contradicting as it may sound, I find that I have more energy if I am able to get a work out in my day.

What do you do for exercise?
This is a great time to talk about Kayla Itsiness' Bikini Body Guide (BBG). First thing, follow her on Instagram. The before and afters from using her program are amazing! And yes, I realize they could be photoshopped but I also have REAL LIFE FRIENDS that have done it and have had amazing results! She also posts videos on her Instagram of her workouts. When you go to her site you can sign up for a free 7 day trial. That is a great place to start. You can also find a lot of her workouts on Pinterest. Search that and it will give you a better glance into her workouts. It is a 12 week program. Weeks 1-12 and weeks 13-24. I know a lot of people do the first guide a couple of times before they dive into the second 13-24 week guide.
She also has a blog where she gives you good diet and exercise tips.

Here is a look at the layout of the workouts.
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday you do her workouts. She has pictures that show you exactly how to do them. They are 28 minutes long. Monday is leg day, Tuesday is arms and abs and Friday is actually an optional full body workout. (which I do but you don't have to!)
Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday you do a LISS (Low Intensity Steady State) workout. You could go on a walk for this, ride a bike.
You don't do the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts until later on but these could include something like running as fast as you can for 30 seconds then taking a 30 second break then running for 30 seconds then taking a 30 second break...
And then on Saturday you get in a nice stretching session (yoga), and on Sunday you rest!

What is your diet like?
Here is a blog post I did a few months ago. My diet is basically the same. I really just try to eat healthy. I DO NOT count calories. That sounds like too much of a hassle. I just try to eat fruits and veggies and not go crazy on junk food. I also just started a 28 day no sugar challenge which helps me stay on task. Otherwise I kind of just eat everything haha. I just did a blog post on Skinny Box, if you haven't read it already you definitely should! It is a great way to watch your portion controls and it is super easy too!
Everything in moderation.
Why do you drink protein? What kind of protein to you drink?
Okay, in all honesty, I drink protein because I LOVE THE WAY IT TASTES! It's like a healthy milkshake! Haha. Seriously though. Sometimes my only motivation to work out is the fact that I get a protein drink afterwards. This is the kind of protein that I drink. We have it in 4 different flavors. We have Strawberry, Cookies and Cream, Gourmet Chocolate, and Orange Dreamsicle. (I wrote them in the order that I like them, favorite to least favorite). Something that is pretty cool is that they have all the flavors rated on a 10 point scale. Strawberry is actually rated the worst at a 7.9, so still good, but I love it! Braden doesn't but I do. Especially if you blend it up with fresh or frozen strawberries, mmmmm!
Why do I drink this protein? Well my dad and brother are way into working out and I would say that they are protein experts. Haha. I don't want a protein that is a mass gainer (crazy amount of calories). I want something with fewer calories that helps my muscles heal faster and this is what they recommended. In all reality, this doesn't have that many calories so you could drink it without exercising and not feel guilty. Braden actually drinks it for breakfast and he says it keeps him super full until lunch! I guess I just use it as a reward for exercising, then I'll actually do it. And I want to get toned and since this helps my muscles heal faster, I am able to (hopefully) get toned faster!

How do you get the motivation to workout?
Honestly... it's hard. Sometimes I just have to force myself to do it even when all I really want to do is go to bed. Like I said before, I believe that if it is something you truly want, you will find the time. I also follow a few fitness accounts on Instagram and sometimes just looking at their posts motivates me enough to get my butt off the couch. Also, it's really easy to get into the routine of working out if you just do it and stick to it. Then you don't really have to think about it, it just happens. But once you miss a day or two or even a week, it's harder to get motivated to get back into it. Something else that also motivates me are challenges. Ever since posting more about fitness on my Instagram I have become friends with a few other fitness fanatics and they have invited me to join some challenges. I just finished a 14 day plank challenge and it only added a few minutes to my regular exercise routine but it's just fun to see how much your body can progress in just a matter of weeks.
These were the majority of the types of questions that I have been getting. If you have any others just email me or DM me on Instagram. I have seriously grown to really enjoy working out when I used to hate it before. And I really think it's because I just forced myself to do it for long enough that now I enjoy it. Starting out is the hardest part. I seriously recommend Kayla's BBG workouts.


You can get this top and anything else on the site for 15% off using the code "glitteranddonuts". They also just released these super cute Mosaic Tile Laser Cut leggings! Ahh! I love them so much! I think I need to get a pair.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment