Friday, September 25, 2015

Fall = Pumpkin Friday

When Braden and I were dating I found out how much Braden LOVES pumpkin. Pumpkin anything. He loves it so much.
Our first year of marriage the first day of Fall fell on a Friday. Fall is pumpkin season. So I decided to make Braden a pumpkin treat. He loved it and I loved seeing him enjoy it. I decided to make another pumpkin treat the following Friday, and then the next Friday, and the next Friday... Anyway, you get the idea. I made a pumpkin treat every single Friday. Well, okay, sometimes it was a Saturday, but the important thing is that he got a pumpkin treat every week and it was so fun for me to make them for him because he loved it so much!
The following year I decided to keep up the tradition. A pumpkin treat the first day of fall and then a pumpkin treat every Friday in fall. Of course this year, and every year after, I am going to have to keep up with this tradition. But that's okay with me! I love pumpkin too! And last year we got some GOOOOOOOOOOD recipes that I will definitely be sharing with you as I make them again this year.

This year I asked Braden what he wanted for his first pumpkin treat. He requested pumpkin bars.
The recipe called for a 9x9 pan but I don't have one of those. I have an 8x8 pan but dinner was in that. So I used a 9 inch pie dish and it worked out great!

For those of you who requested the recipe, here it is!

PUMPKIN BARS

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup oil
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin

Frosting:
4 oz cream cheese
3 tbsp butter (softened)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp milk (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9x9 inch pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, ground ginger, ground cloves, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
3. In a small bowl combine eggs, vanilla, oil, and pumpkin. Mix with a hand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
4. Pour wet ingredients into the well you made in your dry ingredients. Mix with hand mixer until combined.
5. Pour into your 9x9 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer to a rack and allow to cool completely.
6. Frosting: Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and mix at a low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. (You may need to add a little milk to make it more spreadable)
7. When cake is completely cooled spread, frost!

And there you have it! It's a pretty easy recipe. I put the cake in the fridge so it would cool faster so we could eat it sooner :)
Be on the look out for more "Pumpkin Friday" recipes!
ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment