Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Pregnancy "Diet" & Meal Planning

When Braden and I were first married I was really good at meal planning. I would plan meals for two weeks at a time! And some how I did it for really cheap. Probably because between school and work that first year we hardly ever saw each other at dinner time so we just ate "healthy" tv dinners.
I have tried to get back into it several times but it's just hard to plan, and I hate grocery shopping. Well, it's time to get back into it! I made a super specific meal plan for this week. I sat down on Sunday and started looking at recipes on pinterest, writing down the ingredients, and checking to see which ones I already had. Then I went grocery shopping on Monday. $60 for one week of groceries?! I thought that was pretty dang good. Right? Or am I crazy? If you have a way of making it even cheaper PLEASE tell me.
Yes, I am expecting those two gallons of milk to last one week. Haha. We love milk.

Alright. Now for the pregnancy "diet". I put diet in quotations because when people think of the word diet they think of losing weight. I AM NOT TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT!!! I just got super paranoid my first trimester because I didn't lose weight when it seems like everyone else does. I gained 4 pounds. I'm almost halfway through my pregnancy and I haven't thrown up once! Crazy, right? I was super sick and nauseated my first trimester but if I didn't eat then it made me even sicker. Anyway, I'm going to blame these hormones on making me super self conscious these days but I have been stalking other people's pregnancies and when they were at 20 weeks they had the TINIEST bump, like really, are you even pregnant? I definitely have a bump. I would step on the scale and just watch my weight go up week after week. I know, IT'S NORMAL! But you have to understand, HORMONES. I googled, "how much weight should you have gained by week ____" and I'm not over the recommended weight. So I'm fine. But I just hate being so self conscious. So I decided, I am not going to weigh myself anymore. I'm going to eat healthy and exercise and that's all I can do.
I was on pinterest and came across this blog post. It talks about the "Brewer Diet". Basically it's just making sure you get all of the important nutrients that you need every day. And it's a lot! I don't know if I can eat that much. But that's also the good thing, you don't HAVE to. You just eat until you are satisfied. If you don't fit everything in every day that is fine!

I don't eat unhealthy, but I don't eat super healthy either. This is a good balance that is definitely doable. I LOVE carbs and have them with every meal. So that will be the hardest part for me. But again, I don't need to cut them out, I just need to watch what I'm eating and make sure that I am getting all of the necessary nutrients for me and the baby.

The Diet Basics:

Have 80 -- 100 grams of protein a day

Eat at least two dark green vegetables a day.  

Eat two source of vitamin C per day. 

Eat one source of vitamin A per day.

Eat at least two or three servings of other vegetables a day.  

Eat one to two servings of fruit per day.  

Eat three to four milk products per day

Eat two eggs per day

Limit carbohydrates to whole grains --- This is where the variations come in:  Have no more than 5 servings a day (as suggested by the original Brewer Diet.)  But you can limit further, having only one whole grain a day, down to only 1 serving a week.  

Limit fats to two to three servings


This is the first thing I ate after I came home from grocery shopping. Easy, fast, and really good.
Omelet: 2 eggs, green peppers, monterrey jack cheese, and plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream. I love sour cream so I was a little hesitant using plain greek yogurt but it was surprisingly good.

If anyone has some good carb free recipes, please let me know.

Morning Smoothie: one whole banana, one cup of almond milk, and a hand full of spinach.
Sometimes I'll put in a scoop of peanut butter or some oats. I'll occasionally throw in another fruit like blueberries or strawberries as well.

Also, what is it about protein that tastes so good! I'm obsessed. Protein drinks are seriously one of my motivations to working out haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment