Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Recipe for Wednesday: Quinoa Tabouleh

This is a perfect salad/side for summer! I love experimenting with quinoa, you can make so many different things with it. It can be hot or cold, sweet or savory, and every time I have made it it has turned out delicious!


INGREDIENTS:
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 large tomato
1 large cucumber
1 bunch curly leaf parsley
4 cloves garlic
1 large lemon
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS:
1.      Rinse the quinoa under cool running water. Place the rinsed quinoa in a pot with 1 3/4 cups of water. Put a lid on top, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn off the heat. Allow the quinoa to cool before making the salad or else the heat will wilt the parsley and vegetables. To cool it faster, spread it out on a baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2.      While the quinoa is cooling, prepare the rest of the salad. Cut the tomato and cucumber into a small dice. Rinse the parsley well to remove sand and grit, then chop well. Add the cucumber, tomato, and parsley to a bowl.
3.      To make the dressing, squeeze the juice from the lemon into a bowl (about ¼ cup). Mince the garlic and add to the lemon juice along with the olive oil and salt.

4.      Once the quinoa is cooled, combine it with the chopped vegetables and the lemon dressing. Stir well and then serve!

And now for a little update on life.
I just started my practicum yesterday which means that the craziest/busiest part of the semester has officially begun!
Each Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I go into an Elementary school.  I go in 30 minutes before school starts, spend the entire day in a classroom, and leave 30 minutes after school ends.  Then I have to go back to the University for my classes, and go to work, which means I don't get home until about 10:00pm.  Yeah... It was a long and busy day yesterday.
When will I do my homework? On the weekends...
This is going to be a looooong semester, but it'll be worth it? Yes, yes it will.  At least it better be.

No comments:

Post a Comment