Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Recipe for Wednesday: Chicken Enchiladas

About this whole blogging thing, I am kind of getting bad at it huh.  Life is just so hectic!  I am going to school full time, working a part time job, and I am in the Elementary school doing practicum 3 full days a week (so kind of like having another part time job).
It's insane.  I have to do ALL my homework on the weekends in order to survive.  I leave the house at 8:00 am and usually don't get home until 10:00pm.  So I seriously don't have anytime to do homework during the week.
Anyway, enough about my crazy schedule.
Here is a delicious recipe I have to share with all of you.


INGREDIENTS:
2 lb. boneless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 small can cream of chicken soup
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 package neufchatel cheese
2 tsp butter
1 small white onion, chopped
1 4-oz. can chopped green chiles, drained
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup water
1 tsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
8 whole wheat tortillas
2 C. sharp cheddar cheese 
1 10-oz. can green enchilada sauce


DIRECTIONS:
1.      In a saucepan, combine cream of chicken soup, neufchatel cheese, and chili powder; bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring until heated through. Turn off heat and cover to keep warm.
2.      In a skillet, heat butter over medium heat; stir in onion. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent-- about 5 minutes. Add shredded chicken, chopped green chilies, taco seasoning, half the chopped green onions, and water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice, onion powder, and garlic powder. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
3.      Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir 1 cup creamy mixture into skillet, spread the remaining creamy mixture on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Fill each tortilla with chicken mixture. Spring cheddar cheese over the chicken filling and roll up, save half the cheese for topping the enchiladas. Place enchiladas seam side down in the prepared pan.  Pour the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle remaining green onions and olives on top of the enchiladas (or whatever other vegetables you would like) Bake until cheese is melted and bubbling-- about 20-25 minutes.
This recipe does serve 8 people.  So what I did was I put 4 enchiladas in two 8x8 pans then I froze the other half (before cooking it) and now we have and easy/fast meal for another day!



This is a delicious and easy recipe.  And if you have a small family like me you can make two at once!  I love meals that you can do that!

Also, if you follow my Instagram you may know that I have made a few pumpkin treats.  I will start posting those recipes on Friday's so keep your eyes open!







2 comments:

  1. hi, I was wondering is i could use cream cheese in place of the neufchatel? Is neufchatel a pretty common thing? I have just never used it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I don't even know what the difference is.. I use both and it has turned out delicious each time :)

      Delete