Sunday, August 25, 2013

Did I really just run a HALF MARATHON?

I did.  I ran a half marathon.  
Since the beginning of last summer I made it a goal that one day I would run 13.1 miles. 
 I wanted to run it last summer, but I knew that I wouldn't have enough time to train.  For the past seven months I have trained off and on.  Seriously.  I would run for a week then give up.  A month later I would start again, I would run for a few weeks and take another month off.  Then I realized that the only way I was going to run it was to sign up for it the day registration opened.  So on March 31st I signed up and paid the $50, no refund...I had to do it.
When I first started to train I would run less than a block before I had to stop for a break.  I would tell Braden that if I wasn't back in one hour that he should call me to see if I was okay.  I tied up my shoes, ran around the block, and was back in 5 minutes.
Once summer started I knew I really had to get into it and I took training a little more seriously.  Maybe a bit too seriously.  Four weeks before the race I got runners knee.  Apparently you are only supposed to increase your mileage by 10% each week, and I was increasing it by 30-40%.  I wanted it to heal as fast as I could, so I did some research and found out that the fastest way it would heal was to be off my knee as much as I could.  Not the best news when my race is 4 weeks away.  But I listened, and after about two weeks I was back to running.  The long break set me back a little bit but I didn't stop.
And yesterday, I ran the Top of Utah Half Marathon.
I went to bed at 9:00 in preparation to waking up at 4:40!  I woke up, had some oatmeal and a hard boiled egg and Braden drove me to the finish line.  Then we all took buses to the starting line and waited there for about an hour in half.  I still don't get why you have to be there so early, but oh well.  We sat in the dark, in the cold, shivering, just waiting.  15 minutes before the race we took off our hoodies, put them in bags, threw them on the bus, and stood at the starting line waiting for the gun to go off.
My goal was to finish before 2:20.  They had pacers that held up signs saying when they were going to finish.  I followed the pacer for 2:10.  I kept up with her up until mile 8, then I had to slow it down.  By mile 9 she was out of sight.  For the last three miles I had to take a few walking breaks but I was still on the right time track.  Once I saw the finish line I just started running as fast as I could.  It felt like forever!  But I crossed the finish line with my cute husband cheering me on, and I crossed it at 2:17:16 and I made my goal.


I know people always say that if they did it, you can do it.  And now I'm going to say the same thing to you, and I really mean it.  If I can do it, anyone can do it.
Running really is completely mental and I can now say that I completed a Half Marathon, something I never thought I would ever do.

buddha.

Will I run another half marathon?
Yes, yes I will.


I guess that's why they gave us these shirts... so we wouldn't get shot by the hunters?


No comments:

Post a Comment