Friday, July 26, 2013

OUR STORY

I wrote a shortened version of how we met for my first blog post.  I decided to write our whole story before it got too late.  I don’t have the best memory and I don’t write in a journal very often.  I have some important dates written down so I hope I can write our whole dating story from those and from memory.  I decided I better do it now before I forgot all the little details.  I think this is going to be a fun story to have for our future kids to read.  I am also going to be writing a post about our wedding day and our honeymoon.  This might get long.

So it all started November 19, 2010.  My brother and Braden served their missions together in Russia. They lived together for a few months while they were there.  On November 19th I got an email from my brother saying: “So do you want to write an Elder in my mission? Good. His name is Elder Probst. He is an AP and he is cool. You should write him or email him I guess. Unless you think he is ugly. Then you don't have to write him... Everyone thinks that me and him both look like Matt Damon. They think if me and him were to have a baby, we would have Matt Damon. Weird.”
Along with the email he attached these two pictures.


I definitely did NOT think he was ugly. So, I emailed him. Our letters were just us introducing ourselves, asking each other questions, and he would share experiences about his mission.  We wrote for the last 7 months of his mission.  The week he was coming home I got an email from my brother telling me to add him on Facebook and to go to his homecoming. I didn’t want to come on too strong so I didn’t.  But I guess Braden had the same idea.  When he got home he added me on Facebook and messaged me inviting me to his homecoming.  That next Sunday my roommate and I drove from Logan to Kaysville to meet my future husband for the first time. Unfortunately Emily had a farewell to go to that same day, so we had to leave Sacrament Meeting a little early so we decided to show up early so I could introduce myself to him.
I had done my stalking on Facebook so I knew what he looked like.  We walked into the chapel and I saw a man on the stand wearing a missionary name tag.  I thought that was him but it didn't really look like his Facebook pictures.  We stood around awkwardly for a few moments debating if that was really him.  He was talking to some ward members and I got a close look at his name tag and saw that it said "Elder Probst".  I built up some courage and walked towards him and his name tag was in RUSSIAN! (So I don't know how I read "Elder Probst"). But I was too close to turn around and his hand had already been extended out to shake mine and he said "So you must be Kiana." We spent the next few minutes talking. I already knew he was going to go to Utah State, so I asked him where he was going to be living he said "Old Farm", that's where I was living.  Then the meeting started and Emily and I had to awkwardly leave half way through his talk, but he gave me a head nod from the stand. I took that as a good sign.
On Thursday July 7th 2011 Braden drove up to Logan to hang out.  I was a little nervous having it be us two so I had my roommate, Emily, come with me and her friend Cade.  When Braden got to my apartment we introduced everyone to each other and talked for a little bit.  Later we went to get snow cones.  My grandparents have a plot of land in Idaho with a camper, fire pit, a big lawn, and a place to shoot BB guns.  After snow cones we drove there and built a fire and had hot dogs and s’mores.  Emily and Cade decided to go on a little walk and left me and Braden alone sitting around the fire.  I was excited to have some one-on-one time, but also a little nervous.  That was when he found out I was 18, which I guess freaked him out a little bit, he thought I was 20.  Of course he didn't tell me this until we were officially dating.
Here are a few pictures of that night.
Braden and Cade building the fire

Us talking and being awkward and falling in love (our first picture together).

A week later, Thursday July 14th, 2011 Braden drove up to Logan again.  Him and his brother had SOAR at USU, which is kind of like orientation.  So he did that and afterwards his brother dropped him off at my apartment.  We went to Walmart and bought some ingredients for a meal he had planned.  We went back to my apartment and made Apricot Chicken and rice.  It was really good.  Again, we just talked and got to know each other a little better.  I was already planning on going to Murray that evening so earlier I offered to drop him off at his house.  After cleaning up he helped me carry my things to my car and we made the drive and I dropped him off at his house.
Two days later, Saturday July 16th 2011, Braden picked me up at my parents house.  When he came in he pointed out one of the Russian Nesting Dolls that my mom had.  After that my mom took him on a tour of all the art in the house.  I never even got a tour on all the art and where it came from so it was cool.  After that we went and hiked Ensign Peak.  Half way up our hike an old man stopped us and read us a poem about Ensign Peak.  I had the hardest time not laughing but when I looked at Braden it seemed like he didn't have a problem not laughing.  This man continued to tell us about his diabetes, and his long walks to church, and gave us the exact time and address of his church, I think he wanted us to go.  Once the man left, we both looked at each other and started cracking up, I'm glad I wasn't the only immature one.  Once we made our way to the top we watched the sunset, people watched, and just looked out over Salt Lake.  I remember thinking that if he wanted to hold my hand I wouldn't be mad, but it didn't happen.  So we eventually made our way back down and went back to my house.  It was already kind of late so we just hung out, played ping pong, and talked.
By this time I was really starting to like him.
The next day was my parents homecoming talk from them being Mission Presidents.  Braden and I had talked about it before and I made the brave move of inviting him to it.  My roommate Emily came as well.  After sacrament meeting we just went back to my parents house, ate, and talked.
(not the most flattering pictures of me, but this is our second picture together!)

Over the next few weeks we texted a lot.  I didn't want to seem too into him or desperate so I played the texting game.  I would text him first then wait for him to initiate the next "text" conversation.  Since he lived in Kaysville and I lived in Logan we really weren't able to hang out a lot.  We really only hung out when I went down to visit my parents because it was closer to him.  Then one day he invited me to go to one of his friends wedding receptions.  So on Saturday August 6th 2011, I was on my way to his house.  I typed in his address into my phone's GPS, and well, I got a little lost.  I was too embarrassed to call him so I wasted 15 minutes or so trying to find his house.  I'm really bad with directions so I gave in and called him.  He guided me back to his house.  I pulled in, knocked on the door, he answered and gave me a hug (I was really happy about that).  We went to the reception, and I'm not going to lie, it was a little awkward.  All of his friends and a lot of ward members were there.  I can't even tell you how many people asked if we were dating and we had to awkwardly tell them "no, we are just friends" (even though I wanted to be more than that).  After the wedding reception we went back to his parents house, talked for a bit, then watched the movie The Proposal.  I thought this would be a perfect time for him to hold my hand or cuddle with me.  I sat down first, so I wouldn't have to make the move.  He put the movie in then sat like a foot away from me and laid down.  It wasn't going to happen.  Half way through the movie his little brother and his friend Cody joined us.  We talked for a bit, the movie ended, and it was time for me to go home.  Braden walked me to my car, gave me a hug, and that was it.
By this time I really, really liked him.  There were a lot of opportunities he could have made a move, but didn't.  So I wasn't sure if the feelings were mutual.
The texting conversations continued, and I invited him over to my parents house to watch a movie.  On Friday August 12th 2011 he came over and we watched Bride Wars.  Again, I was thinking this would be the perfect opportunity for him to hold my hand, and again it didn't happen.
On Tuesday August 23rd 2011 Braden finally moved up to Logan!  He called me when he was moving in so my roommates and I went to his apartment to meet him and all of his roommates. It was Welcome Week so there were a lot of activities on campus.  We (me and my roommates and him and his roommates) went to most of the activities together.  On Wednesday August 24th 2011 there was a dance party on campus so all of my roommates and Braden and all of his roommates went together.  
I decided that I wanted some alone time with him.  So I invited him to go on a  hike with me.  I told him it was going to be a double date with Cade and Emily, but then last minute they couldn't go.  That wasn't the whole truth, I just didn't want to seem too forward so this was a good "excuse" to get some alone time.  I was so nervous because I didn't know if he liked me and I had decided that after this date I was NEVER going to pursue him.  If he wanted to date me HE would have to make the move.  So on August 25th 2011, he came over to my apartment and we drove to our hiking destination. Everything was going good, conversation was flowing.  We finally reached a point where we decided to stop and sit to watch the sunset.  I sat down first and he sat a foot away from me... again. Things weren't looking good, and I was hating myself for asking him on this date. But it was okay because I had decided that after this night I wasn't going to pursue anything.  We sat there talking and it started getting dark. I asked if he was ready to leave and he said yes.  But we still sat there, and I didn't know why. A few moments later he put his arm around me. I was so happy! After 4 months he finally made a move! I didn't want to stand up after that, I just wanted to sit there all night. We eventually did get up and made our way down when he held my hand. That was probably one of the best days of my life. I liked him and after that night I knew he liked me too.

Things kept going good. On my birthday (September 4th) I went to my parents house in Salt Lake to celebrate.  Braden asked if he could make dinner for me sometime that week. So four days later (September 8th 2011) he came and got me from my apartment and made me garlic chicken, crash hot potatoes, and green beans (my favorite!).  After dinner we sat down on the couch in his apartment all cute and cuddly.  When it was time to go he gave me a hug, leaned his head on mine and leaned in for the kiss!
A few days later we had the "DTR" and we were officially boyfriend and girlfriend.
On Thursday October 6th 2012 Braden had a late review for one of his classes.  We had been hanging out together all day and I offered to drive him up to campus and pick him up when he was done. When we got back from me picking him up we just stood in the parking lot hugging and being all cute. He looked at me and asked if I wanted to learn something in Russian. I said yes! He said "ya tebya lyublyu". I asked him what that meant and he said "I love you" and I immediately responded with "I love you too". And according to him, I gave him a "death" hug. Things were going good. 
Thursday November 3rd 2011 was the first time we talked about marriage.  We were at his apartment making hot chocolate.  All of his roommates were around talking to us.  After the hot chocolate was made, Braden took me outside and we sat on his apartment steps.  He asked, "So where do you think things are heading?" Me not wanting to me the first person to say the word "marriage" replied by saying, "Well if things keep going the way they're going then... you know." (I felt so stupid ha).  Then he asked if I had thought about marriage, and I said yes.
A few days after that, (I don't have the date), we talked about marriage again.  We were at his apartment cuddling and he said, "I can't wait until we are married and I can wake up every day next to you." That was when I knew I was going to spend the rest of my life with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment