Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Recipe for Wednesday: Tres Leches Cake

I haven't really been doing very well at keeping up with this idea. But I did warn you that I am horrible at following through with commitments right?  And I'm just going to get worse.  You would think that since it's summer I would have a lot of time to cook up new, fun recipes.  It is the complete opposite.  I work everyday, go running, clean the house, and I have just been making pretty simple, non-impressive meals.  And now that school has started, and is going to take over my life, and I don't get home from work until 5, that means I have even less time to make a "blog-worthy" meal.  Now I'm not totally giving up on the idea, but just so you know, I might not be very good at it for the next few weeks, but I will still try.
For this week, as you have probably already noticed from the title, I am going to give you the recipe for the Tres Leches cake I made for Braden's birthday! It really is a pretty simple recipe, the only hard part was the frosting... you'll see why.


INGREDIENTS:
½ cup of shortening or butter (I used butter)
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
2 cups of flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
½ cup of milk

DIRECTIONS:
1.      Cream butter and sugar together
2.      Add one egg at a time, beating it together after each one.
3.      Stir flour and baking powder together.  Add it in to the butter, sugar, and egg mix alternating with the milk.
4.      Pour into a greased 9x13 pan
5.      Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes (check with a toothpick)
6.      While it’s baking mix one can of condensed milk, one can of evaporated milk, and a cup of milk.  Stir together.
7.      Take out of oven and poke holes all over with a toothpick
8.      Pour the three milks over the cake. And refrigerate.

Once the cake is completely cooled you can make the frosting
FROSTING:
1.      Beat 3 eggs white until you have soft peaks, then set aside.
2.      On the stove heat 1 cup of sugar with ½ cup of water. Heat until it reaches the “soft-ball stage) ß this is the hard part.  Here is a video so you know what I am talking about.
3.      Once it is in the “soft-ball stage”, SLOWLY drizzle it into the egg whites while beating.  You will most likely need help at this stage. (drizzle  it slow enough so that it doesn't cook the egg whites) Continue beating until cooled. Then spread it over the cake.

I didn't quite master the "soft-ball stage". I cooked it a little bit too long but it still turned out great!

3 comments:

  1. Hmm. It actually sounds really hard haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps- have you heard of the app called Ziplist?? My mom use to hate to cook, and now she absolutely loves it because of this app!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to check it out! I love cooking, I just feel like I never have the time!

      Delete